Change of Attitude, Heart, & Taste. . .

As many of you know my youngest daughter, Kylee and her hubby have been living with us for a month.  They have been tying up all loose ends and taking care of business before leaving for Spain Oct. 2nd.

She suggested that we have a yard sale.  I was not too excited about this.  I’ll tell you why.  It use to be that you could do very well with a yard sale in our area.  The last few years most of the people that hold one say it was not worth it.  That hardly anyone comes and they just want everything for nothing.

Ky and Dustin had sold all of their furniture on KSL, but had a lot of small items that they didn’t want to store.  Like a lot of young’uns today, they are very much minimalists.

I knew that it would be a lot of work going through everything and deciding what to sale.  I actually like that part of it.  The organizing and dejunking is something I enjoy.  I just hated to waste a Saturday sitting outside waiting for “no one” to come.

Well friends, I’ve had a change of attitude.  People did come (If you sale it, they will come) and we did very well.

So there you have it, the change of attitude.  Now for the change of heart.

high chair

In ‘1988’ when we moved into our previous home Victorian style was very popular.  I decorated my living room in Dusty Mauve and Stoneware Blue.  Are you old enough to remember those colors?

My MIL still had the high chair that she had used for all of her children.  She gave it to me to paint.

I painted it white and then gave it a light blue glaze.  I stippled a bit of greenery in the background and then painted, daises, roses, and ribbons.  A porcelain baby doll sat in it.

chair

IMG_8225

IMG_8224

My style and taste has changed, so It has been stored in the basement for years.  I decided to put it out for the sale.

As hubby and I were pulling things out of the garage early Saturday morning he said, “Are you going to sale my old high chair?”

Couldn’t believe that he even cared.  After all, he loves it when I get rid of a few of my ‘treasures’.  I replied, “Not sure, still trying to decide”

No sooner had the words came out of my mouth that I found myself pulling it back in.  After all, I probably would have put $25 on it.  Decided it was too sentimental to part with right now for a measly $25. I’ll let my kids do that after I’m gone. lol!

Kylee also had a change of heart about this jewelry armoire.  When my mom was leaving her home and moving in with one of my older sisters  she gave a lot of her things to family.

This armoire was the only thing Kylee wanted.  She was just a young girl at the time.  A couple of the legs were off.  Her hubby fixed it thinking it would sale better.  At the last minute she decided she wanted to keep it.

IMG_8220

Things really have changed.  Remember all of the collector dolls that people use to order out of magazines?  My mom had lots of those.  She dearly loved dolls and had them displayed throughout her living room.

The kids now days really don’t care about them.  Even my grandies don’t want them.  It saddens my heart a little.

IMG_8228

I too was (am) a collector.  It’s in my blood. hee, hee.  My collections have just changed from new to old.  I gave Kylee a large collection of Precious Moments as she was growing up.  She wanted to save a couple, but again the minimalist thing. I also bought a lot of Jan Hagara items years ago.  Curious, do any of you know who Jan Hagara is or was?

IMG_8226

I didn’t think that any of the collectables would sale.  Happy to say that a few people knew and loved Jan Hagara.  I sold my dolls, two framed pictures, and a set of Victorian doll plates.  I also sold my entire Ark collection and Kylee sold a few Precious Moments.  Yes, I collected Noahs arks. That collection started after visiting San Francisco and seeing a shop with Noahs Arks displayed along a shelf that ran along the ceiling of the shop.  It was instant love. I Loved and enjoyed them for years, but again why store them any longer?  Let someone else enjoy them.

I’m thinking that I should open an ebay account and sale the rest of the dolls and Precious Moments. 

Isn’t it funny how our taste change? 

Would love to know, is there something that you use to love to collect?

Hugs,

Jann

Sunny Simple Life for Sunny Simple Sunday

Cowgirl Up

23 comments

Anonymous said...

Hi Jann!
I love all of the things you have.
Thanks for sharing


SS
XO

The French Hutch said...

Hi Jann, I've been there done that as they say. I giggled a little at the mauve and blue, what were we thinking! I still have my doll collection in the closet. It's hard to let go of past treasures. You're right about young people, they don't collect like we did.......Good luck!

~Emily
The French Hutch

Linda said...

I used to collect plates from states and countries I had visited. Donated them all a few years ago because there were so many on eBay for sale and none of them moving. I try really hard not to collect things these days. Glad you had good luck with the sale!

Unknown said...

I collected bird houses for a while, the ones for show, not "for the birds". I remember years ago collecting ducks and geese. I can't stand them now. :) I still have a collection of angels, mostly gifts from folks. I have them on display in my china cabinet. Now, I just collect 'stuff' and I need to stop that! I don't need a single thing.

Hope your week is lovely and glad you had a good yard sale. We had a good one back in July.

Pamela Gordon said...

Sheep, apples and hearts. The country collection. ;) I remember all the things you talked about in your post. Time sure does change our thinking regarding decor. I'm glad you kept the high chair.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

This is a dilemma I am dealing with now. Things I want to get rid of and the younger generation does not seem interested. I use to have pretty good luck with garage sales, but the last couple ones joined in with someone else were real duds.
My declutter mode has been put on hold for a bit.
Have a great week.

Gina said...

I'm glad the sale went well & I loved hearing how you & your daughter pulled a few things at the last minute. That happens to me all the time!

Maureen Wyatt said...

It's tough to admit that your tastes have changed and things you once loved don't 'speak' to you anymore. I had a lot of angels, some expensive, and sold them all off a few years back. Glad you did well at your sale! ~ Maureen

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

I did the dusty rose and blue thing back in the late 80s and early 90s. At one time I collected brass bells and angels, neither of which is in line with my modernist taste today.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

1. So glad you spared the family high chair.

2. I collected baskets. Used to collect all kinds, shapes etc. of baskets.

After twenty moves I'm a minimalist, too!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Glad you had a good sale. I used to collect lighthouses. I still have most of them but don't collect them anymore. One of these days I will have to get rid of them

Kris said...

All of our tastes change. I certainly do remember our first brand new home. Come to think of it, the only home we have lived in that was brand new.....It was 1986. Very much the time of dusty mauve and colonial blues. I remember the heart stencils and such that I had in my house. My neighbor had the white duck motif and blue everything!!! I have always leaned towards antiques and an eclectic look. So that has not changed much. But my tastes have changed. I would take that high chair and paint it again, and use it in my kitchen somewhere if I were you. Couldn't a youngun' sit up to the dinner table in that?
I know your must be so heart sick over your daughter moving so far from home!!!
: (
XO Kris

Ruby and Arthur said...

I have collected a lot of things through the years, but I am in paring down mode. It can be hard to let go of some of them for sure. Ebay is a great place to sell all the extras! Good luck, Jean

The Farmers Daughter said...

I'm still trying to reduce down to "plain and simple" because my taste HAS changed--so tired of clutter! I'm placing my collectables in the historic district old country store and don't plan to ever move them again. But, then, who knows how I'll feel in 10 years? I may change again! When the Victorian was "in", I thought I'd never give that up! LOL

Lori E said...

Mostly I collect dust but besides that I collect old fashioned Santas. I have over 100 and no more room to store them so the collection must end here. Ya, right, like that is going to happen.
I love your tole painted chair. I didn't know your were a tole artist. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Om my goodness! when I married, the golds, browns and greens were just on their way out and the blue and mauve on it's way in! And then the hnter green, navy blue and burgandy in the 90s! I still have a lot of my burgandy hanging around but I'm going to send it to the "guest house" when we move! I'm tired of the dark colors.

In the 80's I collected lopp eared bunnies! Hee-hee! I don't have a single one anymore! They suddenly embarassed me! then I started collecting cows... Hmmm... Never did collect dolls, though. they just don't apeal to me for some reason.

Well, glad your sale went well. We haven't had one in years but I sure like going to them! ♥

Pam said...

Hi Jann, I know what you mean...My tastes have changed only in the last few years. If it isn't old,warn and aged I now get rid of or refurbish it! Love your post! xo's Pam

Rose L said...

I have a collection of unicorns that I am considering thinning out. I also have a collection of trinket boxes and various other small boxes, canes,some porcelain dolls, a miniature village with mini-people about 1/2 inch tall. Oh, and way too many Hallmark ornaments, including some of their very first ones made! I am planning to thin it all out.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Congrats on your successful sale!

Funny you mention changing tastes, I did the "What's in my Cabinet" link party with Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage today and mentioned how my tastes have changed from ultra modern to more traditional - never though it would happen, but it DID. (My Mom would be so happy she hated my 80s chrome and glass!)

Anyway, I think the high chair and jewelry armoire are keepers too.

: - )

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh yes..our tastes change so many times through the years....i have collected so many things from Dept 56 Dickens Villages (have over 150 in the attic) to Longaberger baskets (have over 100 of them in the attic too), and not to mention all my antique dishes, etc....I sold many things before we relocated to another state...many antiques...and now really having seller's remorse on many of the antiques I sold....but then again, it is just stuff....Glad you had a good yard sale experience.

Maria Elena said...

So good to hear the sale went well! I have pulled a few things out of a garage sale through out the years! Well, a girl has a right to change her mind! LOL I didn't know your daughter was going to Spain. You know, I was born and raised in Madrid, so, I have to say I am very jealous!!! LOL I wish them a great trip!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Personally I think that people should save all of their kids toys! We have some antique stores in the area and toys that my sister and I played with when we were young are practically priceless now.

LOL for one thing, it shows me how "vintage" i am

For another, maybe keeping toys and selling them 50 years later would be better than the stock market! :)

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Jann,
I will keep your kids in my prayers. When my youngest son, Tim, was in Bosnia years ago he always said, "Mom...Everytime you look at the moon just remember that it's the same moon that I see every night." It seemed to help me feel closer to him...and, soothe my Momma's heart.

Oh, that high chair is so sweet...so charming. I'm glad you decided to keep it. It's nice that there were others that appreciated your lovely collectables. You found them good homes.

Have a great weekend, my dear friend,
Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo

Instagram