Island Thrifting. . .

Hi folks.  Let me tell you that the last place that I thought I would be thrifting is on the island of Kauai.

Imagine my surprise.  We were on our way to the nearby town of Kapaa to eat at Ono’s Breakfast (ono means good in Hawaiian).  Suddenly I spied a thrift store.

After further inspection I noticed that there was a cute vintage type shop across the way.  I swear heavenly angels started singing right then.  Alas, it was a week day and neither was open.

Hubby was tolerant kind enough to take us back on Saturday.  The thrift store was a ‘BIG BOMB’.  Nothing but junk!  Not good junk mind you.  But wait!  Don’t sigh yet.  Each day we would drive around and visit a little more of the island.  By the weeks end we had found three more thrift stores.  This is where you cheer loudly.  Who would have thought, 4 thrift stores on one island.

I didn’t find a lot, but sure was fun to bring home a few island treasures.

I found two little red glasses for $1.00 ea.  I already had one so how could I resist?  Need at least one more don’t you agree?

IMG_8476

At the second one I found this cute aqua juicer for $3.  Probably not vintage, but sweet!

IMG_8490

and this chicken ornament for $2.  It had the original store tag on it for $8.  It will be so fun to hang on the tree and remind us of all those crazy chickens that run rampant on the island.

IMG_8491

At the last store I found these daisy saucers for 50 cents ea.  Passed up a vintage book and wheat platter that I am kicking myself about now.  Didn’t think I had room in my carry on.  Now I’m thinking,”where there’s a will there’s a way”.

IMG_8474

They were the perfect color to add to my farmhouse table décor.

IMG_8475

I have a few more finds that I wanted to share with you.  These were not found in HI.  Tuesday morning I had to go to the dentist.  I decided that before I would go vote I would hit our local D.I. (thrift store).

JACKPOT!

A sweet wheat Pyrex casserole to add to my wheat dish collection.  It’s missing the lid, but a steal for $2.  Hopefully I can find a lid later.

IMG_8478

These next two items were in the collections case.  That always makes them a little more pricey.

Not sure if this is a small pitcher or a creamer.  On the bottom it says, “The Friendly Village” by Johnson Bros. England 1883.

IMG_8479

It was $5 but I could not walk away from that scalloped edge or covered bridge scene.

IMG_8481

IMG_8480

It reminds me of the Thanksgiving song that says, “Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house we go.”

Before I show you my last treasure I want to mention that the day I bought the Johnson Bros. creamer I came home and was visiting Sandi’s blog from Rose Chintz Cottage.  She had posted an entire setting with Johnson Bros.  She linked it to Share Your Cup and is #34.  You need to go see! While you’re at Share Your Cup please link up a post if you haven’t already. Ha-ha, nothing like putting a plug in for my own party!

Isn’t this sweet?  Wait till you hear what was attached to the bottom.

IMG_8483

This was $7.  I loved the hand painted roses!

IMG_8484

I know that you can’t read this but there is a piece of tape that says, “Ham from England. One of Grandmother Ruth Thorpe’s wedding presents.

IMG_8486

It always saddens me a little to think that this darling heirloom is not in the family.  But I hope grandmother Ruth knows that I will cherish it.

Have you found anything fun lately?

Hugs,

Jann

I will be partying with:

Debra from Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

Diann at the Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday

Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

18 comments

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like you found quite a few treasures. Sounds like you had an enjoyable vacation - thanks for sharing it with us.
Enjoy your evening.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Wow, even thrifting on your vacation! You found some cute items. I always wonder how family heirlooms end up in laces like the Goodwill. But I know it will be loved by you!
Blessings,
Susie

Anonymous said...

Great finds! My grandma had "the friendly village dish set." She always used it at Christmas time! I wish I could of had it to treasure. Enjoy!

Gina said...

Not only did you get an awesome vacation, but you got alot of great treasures to bring home!

Unknown said...

Awesome finds! Glad you were able to thrift some!

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Other people are driving around looking at the palm trees and taking trips to the volcanoes and here is our sweet friend, Jann, cruising thrift stores...lol

You did good though. That last picture really does make me feel sad...maybe because I have been writing on the bottoms of pieces for my daughters/sons to choose for themselves- xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Other people are driving around looking at the palm trees and taking trips to the volcanoes and here is our sweet friend, Jann, cruising thrift stores...lol

You did good though. That last picture really does make me feel sad...maybe because I have been writing on the bottoms of pieces for my daughters/sons to choose for themselves- xo Diana

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

What wonderful treasures you found, Jann!

You need to share this post with Nifty Thrifty Friday linky party!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oops this is what I meant:

Thrifty Things Friday with

Diann at The Thrifty Groove

Antiques And Teacups said...

What a great group of finds. I especially like the pitchure and would have grabbed it as well. Great day!
Ruth

Kris said...

Wow! Lots of great deals!!
xo Kris

pembrokeshire lass said...

You always have such good finds!! Fancy even on your hols! Who can keep a good thrifter down? Especially not your dear husband I can see! Love the little chicken! joan

Jocelyn said...

Wow what amazing finds!! And if you look at my post from yesterday, I shared my Johnson Brothers Thanksgiving table. But mine is a beverage pitcher. Have never seen the smaller version.

Jocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Salmagundi said...

I have a huge collection of Friendly Village, and the creamer that goes with the sugar bowl is an entirely different shape; so yours must be a small pitcher. I don't have a piece like that, but will be looking for one now. It is cute!! Sally

Old Fashioned Gal said...

I love that aqua juicer! Too cute! :)
-Denise

Nann said...

You've got some cute things Jann. The thought never occurred to me to go to thrift stores in Hawaii or anywhere for that matter outside the US. Now I'm feeling I've missed the boat in my travels. Your little bird ornament really took my eye. He is SO cute.

Mary said...

I love that garland. Great vintage finds.

priscilla said...

Great new thrifty goodies ! Love the chicken ornament and the 2 pitchers !!

Instagram