Bookin It!

The last couple of days I have been ‘bookin it’.  No, I haven’t been running around the house, (well, maybe a little), but still, that’s not what I’m talking about.

I have been creating things for Christmas with books and book pages.  I love old books and sometimes it’s hard to use them in a craft project.   However I have no problem when it comes to run of the mill paperbacks.

IMG_2823

My sister, Julie and friend, Dolly came up to spend a couple days for a crafting frenzy.  Dolly cut each of us a ‘book bell’ before she came on her band saw.  All that was left was to crinkle the pages, ink them, glue it into the bell shape and embellish.

Ribbons, tuelle, feathers, bling, bits of sheet music, and tea stained doilies and coffee filters help to give it a vintage feel.  They added a sparkly bird to theirs, but I decided to add a wooden white flower.

IMG_2822

We covered a little wooden ball with a small piece of a book page and modge podge.  Every bell has to have a dinger, right?

IMG_2826

Can’t wait to hang it for Christmas!  It looks super dark in this picture, but it isn’t.

IMG_2829

We also folded a book to make a cute tree.  I am not taking the time to give you a tutorial because there are plenty out there already.  Sweet Dolly had watched one and showed us how.  Are you getting the feeling that she does most of the work?  You would be right.

IMG_2818

We placed ours on a vintage jello mold.  Love it!

IMG_2819

A dimensional paper star backed with warm and natural, bits of lace and ribbon, and a touch of bling top it off.

IMG_2821

Now here’s the one that I used old books.  Book lovers please don’t hate me.  I saw this idea on Ornate Splendor blog and fell in love with it.  She used all neutral colored books, which was incredible, but I used what I had that were about the same size.  The covers were removed and holes drilled.

IMG_2808

We used Bethany Lowe’s vintage glitter and Modge Podge to cover chipboard letters.  Layered laces were sewn together and then we hot glued them to the book.  A touch of cedar and a glitzy button embellish each book.

IMG_2809

IMG_2810

You won’t believe what the ruching looking lace really is.  It’s an old mattress pad tea dyed.  Clever, right?  Wish I could take credit, but nope that would be Dolly and Julie.

IMG_2811

I loved the writing on these two books!  Kind of fun how the letter O framed the Sunday School Songs.  Believe me, the insides of these books will not go to waste.

Can’t wait to see this hanging!

Thursday night we made a banner that we used some book pages in also at a class hosted by my hairdresser, Shalona.  I will save it for another post.  It was a Thanksgiving banner, but I changed it up just a little to use for Christmas.  Didn’t need another Thanksgiving banner.

Can you believe Christmas is drawing near?

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Shabby Art Boutique for Simply Shabbilicious Christmas party

Sunday View for Inspired Sunday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays

The Dedicated House for Make it Pretty Monday

The Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday

A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

The Scoop

Timewashed for Blissful Whites Wednesday

Ivy and Elephants for What's it Wednesday?

Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Wednesday

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

36 comments

Kris said...

Such clever ideas!
xO Kris

Heirloom treasures said...

I bet you had heaps of fun,and lovely things you made too. :)

Debby Ray said...

These are so cute! I have yet to make any book projects but you are inspiring me! Thanks for sharing :)

Martinel said...

Sooo wonderfull...Like it much...Pleasure for the eyes and the mind, thanks:)

Irene Helms Designs said...

Lovely! Love the idea of using an old mattress pad for the ruching...never would have thought of that!
Irene

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love your repurposed book crafts. Very creative!

Bernideen said...

What darling things! I love it that people are making many "new" crafting items again!!!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

SO clever - absolutely love your craftiness, Jann.

I have the stuff and the ideas, I just never get TO them - weeks, months, years go by and my crafts in my head goes unmade. I hate that about myself when I am truly so incredibly inspired by you and others' crafty talents.

Wish we lived closer, I know we'd enjoy making crafts together - maybe if I had a crafty buddy I would actually fulfill this need, but, oh well, I live vicariously through you.

God bless. ♥

Nancy said...

I love the little tree, Jann. Brilliant idea to place it on a vintage cookie cutter. Perched on old books is perfect. This is just my style. Thanks for sharing. :) ~ Nancy

camp and cottage living said...

Very cool ideas, Jann.
I'm not sure wish I like best.

Susie said...

Jann, The bells are so pretty. I saw some booked angels yesterday at the bazaar. Sweet. You and your sister are very crafty. I know it was lots of fun. xoxo,Susie

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Those book projects are cute! I've made a book page wreath and pumpkin before. Definitely want to try my hand at Christmas tree this year.

Gayle said...

You've been having LOTS of fun Jann! I especially love the book bell - think I might need to borrow it for a wedding on Dec. 13th. BTW - do you know any Arnold's in Alpine? That's where the bride's family lives.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well what fun! This is exactly the look I'm loving this season. Can't get enough of that vintage paper! So nice that you stopped by to see my paper wreath!

lynne said...

Those are great crafts, Jann! I love crafts that are just made up things you already have.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, how I would have loved being there with you ladies crafting! Wow I am amazed at how beautiful the decorations came out! I love the Noel banner so much! Wishing you a wonderful week Jann and thanks for sharing those pretty crafts. Julie

Susanne said...

Very crafty projects, well done!

lynn cockrell said...

My, what wonderful things you all have made with the books! It is all beautiful, but I think the book bell is my favorite. Isn't it great getting together with friends and loved ones to create?! What fun!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Nothing like some of the girls gathering and having some fun!
Brenda

mimi_62 said...

love it all. Might have to be a copy cat.

The Victorian Girl said...

Love your Christmas crafts, especially the bell. I remember as a child taking magazines and folding the pages to make a set of carolers.

Leovi said...

Beautiful and creative, wonderful work!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

What fun! I haven't tried any book crafts yet.
Laura
Harvest Lane Cottage

Cristina Garay said...

Love them! Very cute ideas, thanks for sharing ;)

Tammy N said...

Your book projects are beautiful. How fun to do these projects with family and friends.

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Jann, I too, am a book page craft fanatic.. and I have several planned for Christmas... love yours they are all so lovely... Cathy

One More Time Events said...

Love them all Jann! Very Nice.....Hugs, Tammy

Dewena said...

Hello Jann, first of all, thank you so much for commenting and following me through Deb at Frugal Little Bungalow! It was so nice of her to point you my way so that I could meet you too. I have followed you and will add you to my blogroll where I won't miss your future posts.

I've just spent some time here looking at your beautiful crafts--I must point my daughter-in-law your way too as she is a fellow artist/crafter. She put up a FB announcement to her friends that she would host a craft day at her house, thinking there would be a dozen but 31 people signed up! It's hard to believe that these beauties were once old paperbacks!

I visited past posts until I got to your family Halloween party and just had to say that you are so lucky to have those wonderful grandchildren. I have 4 grown grandsons and now our youngest son (who is married to the crafter), has our first granddaughter who is about 16 months old and a joy for us.

What fun that Halloween part must have been!

So nice to have met you,
Dewena

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Love the mantle and the banner!! Glad that you are feeling better!
Thanks again for your visit! We have a HL about 30 minutes away and I have yet to make the trip there....

Hugs,
Deb

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh wow, how pretty and that angel is stunning. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

Robin Johnson said...

Your creations are so pretty!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous book crafts! Love the bell and tree! Bet y'all had a blast!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

What fun book crafts! My personal favorite is the tree. Love that extra bit of bling you used. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Thanks also for your sweet welcome back comment you left for me. It's good to be back :)

Hugs,
Deborah

Laura Turner said...

These are great book projects, Jann, and what a great way to spend time with those you care about. How smart to use a saw; I never thought of that. I love the colored book covers you used in the banner.
Thank you for linking up with Inspired Sunday and for always leaving such encouraging comments.

Kathy said...

Hello Jann, these are marvelous - beautiful, unique Christmas crafts! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

ornate splendor said...

Hi, Jann! Thank you for mentioning my little blog in your post. Your book banner came out so pretty! So clever of you to use a mattress cover for the ruched fabric look! Pretty! : ) Catherine

Instagram