Make a Towel Hook from Vintage Hardware

 

Hello my friends, today I am sharing another creative article

By Merri Cvetan

You might remember her other fun towel bar I shared a while ago.

Vintage towel bar

clip_image002

I love old hardware and old architectural elements; bits and pieces from antique homes and buildings. I also love to dig through boxes of miscellaneous stuff at flea markets. You never know what gems you might find.

I don’t always know what I’ll do with something when I buy it, but I can’t pass up a jewel in the rough. So when a client who’s restoring a Victorian home asked for something unique for her guest bath, I knew just what to make: a towel hook using antique door hardware.

clip_image004

clip_image006

I started with an old door backplate. The design is stamped in metal and dates from the late 19th century through the early 1900s. It had been painted and repainted over the years. Someone started removing the old paint and gave up. I left it as I found it. There is something charming about old, chippy paint! My box of tricks held lots of white porcelain door knobs. I decided to use the one with the most intact paint.

clip_image008

Then I needed something to attach it to. I found an old wood plinth. A plinth block is found between the door casing and baseboard in Victorian homes. This piece is almost 12" high and painted green and white. Depending on the quality of the wood, it might have originally been stained. Over the years, someone chose to paint it. I love old paint too, and almost always leave it as I find it.

clip_image010

clip_image012

On the back side, add a heavy duty picture hook so it can be hung on the wall. Since towels get used all the time, the screw will need an anchor or sinker so it won’t pull out of the wall. It’s a unique, one-of-a-kind conversation piece and looks great even without a towel. I know she’ll love it.

Interior designer and DIY crafter Merri Cvetan writes about her home projects and on home decor for Home Depot. Home Depot's own selection of towel hooks and other bathroom accessories can be viewed online.

I loved this towel hook by Merri because it’s something that I would gladly hang in my own home.

In fact, I have made a similar hook that holds an apron in my open kitchen/family room area.

Much more simplistic than Merri’s, but still fun!

apron hook 001

Like Merri I love finding little bits of odds and ends that can be made into something unusual.

How about you?

hugs,

Jann

26 comments

Mary Ann Potter said...

So perfect! I love the use of old things --- they're always in style. You've inspired me to be on the lookout!

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

Jann it's so pretty.

Hugs from Oklahoma,

Valerie
Cottage Making Mommy

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I never find fancy hardware like the first one. Mostly plain!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

I love these! They're so pretty!

Patti said...

Yesterday's trash, today's treasures. You make the simplest of things look wonderful!

Kim said...

I love creative repurposing, Jann...so pretty!! :)

Kim said...

Ooh...gotta love salvaged architectural hardware with layers of chipped paint and a bit of rust. Gorgeous towel hook!

farmhouse-story said...

love this, jann! have a great week!

priscilla said...

Love these Jann !

Anonymous said...

Those are just SO Darn ADORABLE! So cute and creative!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That is a great idea! Love your creativity!

living from glory to glory said...

Dearest Jann, I really think this idea is perfect! I also like the idea of adding it in the kitchen to hang aprons on! I have a black iron teapot with a hook on it. I must try to remember to keep my eyes open for old hardware to use for a project.
Did you get that snow?
My crocus flowers are trying their best to pop out of the frozen ground!
Blessings to YOU, Roxy

Anne's Attic - Design said...

I love the use of old knobs for towels rack, each one is so different. Have a great day! Hugs Jo

Cynthia said...

Such fun, love old doorknobs.

Cindy

Rose L said...

Such a cool idea! There is an architectural salvage place not far form me and I visited, but--whew!--were their prices high on a lot of it!

Maria Elena said...

What a beautiful idea. Love it!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Really nice, Jann! I'm sure she was/will be thrilled!

I dig through boxes and bins too. Why not, it is the fun part!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I love this! I recently came across some hardware from our old (built in 1892) house. I used hinges with a Valentine card that I made, and put a crystal doorknob among other collectibles on the mantle. It makes me smile every time I look at it.

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh...I do like this a lot! I have got to start being more creative! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Christine said...

I bought one of these. Now I can make one or more!
Great idea
(why couldn't I think of that?)

HWIT BLOGG said...

Lovely! I really like this idea...nice!
Have a happy week, take care.
Titti

Katie Mansfield said...

I love the color on that piece of salvage. I've made a couple of these and just love them. Such a great use of old knobs and trim.

Unknown said...

My aunt has done a lot of little projects around her house. It really seems like there are a lot of different options when it comes to being able to pull off this "rustic" look. I definitely would like to be able to have an opportunity to have little knickknacks like this around my house to bring out character. http://www.montgomeryslumber.com/products

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

They are really pretty!

Tea in the Library said...

Hello! I started at the newest post and worked my way back - I'm playing catching up this afternoon! I have been saving (read:HOARDING) some old door knobs and such. Something like this would be perfect in mu craft room to store banners.

Alfred said...

There is something charming about old, chippy paint! My box of tricks held lots of white porcelain door knobs. I decided to use the one with the ... vvintagedoor.blogspot.com

Instagram