DIY Shiplap in the Bedroom. . .

Hello my friends, hubby and I recently finished our
 first project of '2017'
 
Joanna Gaines has gotten many of us in a tizzy wanting to add shiplap to our homes. :)
 A few years ago I had mentioned to my hubby that I wanted to run bead board horizontally in my sewing room.  I had seen it in a magazine, but had never heard of shiplap.  Well, I didn't want to wait, so I ended up just painting it.
 
 
Still, visions of shiplap ran rampant through my head.  Next, I thought it would be fun in my laundry room.  Hubby agreed to take on the project.  When I was down loading my car with items from my friends Aunt's estate, hubby found a  U-Tube Video showing just how to do it.  When I returned home he said that the laundry room was going to be a bit of work because he'd have to cut around all the cabinets.  So I suggested doing just one
wall in our bedroom.
 
 
Loving the look!
 
This is what the wall looked like before.
I almost forgot to take a photo.  This was when I had stripped the bedding and we were getting ready to pull the bed out of the way.
 
 
The wall really was a softer yellow.  I wasn't tired of it, just wanted shiplap.  lol!  Telling it like it is.
 


It gave the room a farmhouse feel, don't you think?
 

 
One thing leads to another.  :)  Now I need a new lamp.  I already dropped my old one off at our local thrift shop.
 

 
 
Did you notice the wicker picnic hampers in the corner?  When I was painting the shiplap, I got paint happy and painted them as well.  They use to reside in our family room, but now have a new home in the bedroom.
 
 
Not sure if I love them, but oh well; it's done!!
 
Not the greatest photo.
 
 
We cut our own 6" shiplap from 1/4 inch plywood sheets.
 
Primed with Kilz, sanded, and painted before we put them up.  Then all I had to do was touch up where the nail gun holes were.  We nailed and glued them up.  Do you know that you place a nickel in between boards for spacing?  I had no idea!
 

 
Yes, we did this in the kitchen.  Baby it was too cold outside!
 
I have one more plan for this room, but I haven't laid it on the hubs yet.  (wink)
 
hugs,
Jann
 
 
 
 
 

25 comments

Art and Sand said...

I love the look of shiplap, but it just doesn't work with our house. So, I got my shiplap fix by Steve making me a headboard with horizontal planks.

Your bedroom looks great and I like the wicker baskets.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love it! I have a feeling your hubby's going to be hanging more shiplap in your home. Lucky you!

mimi_62 said...

Love it all, and also love the wicker baskets painted white. Good job, Schulz!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann I love it! You and hubby did such a great job. Have a great week.
xoxo Jo

Michelle H said...

I love it! Vickie up there (Ranger911) is the first one who enlightened me about shiplap, haha! My house was built in 1915 by a shipbuilder. When we bought the house 14 years ago, we peeled 7 layers of wallpaper off the living room to find tongue and groove walls underneath. We loved them and painted them. In 2015, I started seeing some "plank" walls and remembered seeing that under the paneling in the kitchen. Tore it out, Vickie left a comment about shiplap, which I had to look up, haha! There's a lot of it in our house, we're slowly getting it all exposed. Soon after is when we discovered "Fixer Upper" and realized we got to be "cool" for mostly free, other than lots of elbow grease and adding planks to half of our kitchen that was added on in the 60's. I do love your painted baskets, the white unifies them with all the red and white in that gorgeous room. I LOVE that room!

Susie said...

Jann, I love the new wall. I think one wall makes it stand out more. I have lived thru remodels and make overs and that's rough. I think I would need to work outside now. One day though Teddy Bear and I are going to have to sand our floors..gaaa... makes me crazy thinking about it. I love the baskets...you can always paint them again. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Bonnie Schulte said...

Your wall looks amazing, what a difference one wall can make. And painting your baskets. Same thing, great idea, and they look really really wonderful. LOVE!!!!!!!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love it Jann, it really looks wonderful. I also like the white baskets you painted they look really good. I have some and it gave me a great idea.

Have a wonderful week. It's going to be 84 today - I love it and cool nights so you can sleep.

Hugs,
Mary

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love how that wall looks! I think it's really pretty and the baskets painted white look great! Good job!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Love it! What a difference. The yellow was nice but the shiplap wall is a WOW! I really like the wicker all painted white. I hope you spray painted! It's a lot of work either way.

ellen b said...

Love the shiplap look! Hats off to and hubby!

Connie said...

Hi Jann, I love your bedroom redo . . . it went from the new home look to a country farmhouse and added so much charm and personality. I even think that you will have sweeter dreams in that room now. Also, you may not have decided if you like the baskets, but I love them :)
Have a great week and thanks for sharing . . . now I'm thinking shiplap, LOL.
Connie :)

carol@The Red Painted Cottage said...

I love this! I want to put a wall of shiplap in our guest bedroom and in one of our bathrooms. You make it look so easy, I just have to work on hubby a bit more to convince him!

Rose L said...

LOVE the ship lap. I want it done to the ceiling of 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms. I do not have anyone to do it so will have to save and pay someone. It is such a nice look on your wall!

Kim said...

LOVE your bedroom. The shiplap looks wonderful on the wall. LOVE all that white and the bed.......ooooh....stuff of romantic dreams!! Where oh where did you get all those lovely baskets....soooo jealous....I love them with a lick or two of white paint.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Beautiful! I love how you already had the windmill piece! And those picnic baskets are like a blank canvas, waiting to be decorated for each holiday! I can just see the fourth of July ribbons and such!

Cynthia said...

Jan, this looks super and adds so much character. Love the bed too

Cindy

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love the shiplap look! I want that in my staircase. This post is the perfect inspiration!

Jeanie said...

That looks fantastic, Jann. I thought it looked great before but when you see the before and after there is no comparison.

Seeing your baskets reminds me that I should be painting some of mine. I like the natural wicker look a lot and it does go better with my house, yet that white just sparkles!

Good job -- you are aceing the projects this year!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Love the shiplap wall. It looks amazing! What a difference white paint makes to baskets. They just seem to pop now.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

The shiplap wall looks great, Jann, and I really like the cohesive look of the wicker baskets. Your hubby is a dear!

Gina said...

I love it, Jann! That is one fantastic transformation!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Love it!! Congrats on accomplishing such a great project!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Fran said...

That looks fabulous!! The shiplap adds just the right amount of texture to a white wall. You've inspired me...I need to find a wall to shiplap! I'm usually so excited and focused on getting a new project started that I almost always forget to take a "before" picture until the project is well underway. You did good :)
--Fran

While I Linger said...

Had to pop over and see how it turned out. I love it!

Instagram